Maintenance To Do

Items that need to be done

Oil Change
Front Brake Pads swapped


Saturday, December 20, 2008

Researching Lubricants

Ok, I guess that title does sound funny, but in the process of reading the official BMW repair manual, they list some lubricants for general maintenance. Most of these are available in EMEA, but their equivalents need more research. I'm sure my local BMW dealer will sell me all of these at a heft price.

1) Retinax A, this is listed as the (taper) roller bearing grease in the repair manual, but I noticed is also used to lubricate the clutch cable and the adjustable windshield shaft. I used a basic lithium grease until I can find this product or its equivalent.



2) Staburags NBU 30 PTM, this is listed to grease the side stand. A google search produced articles suggesting alternatives such as Texistar or BMW red grease.










3) Brake Fluid DOT 4 quality classifications, e.g. ATE "SL" brake fluid, since this is done every year, I will most likely stick to Castrol or BMW only brake fluid.








4) Bosch ft 40v1, this grease was also recommended for airheads as a acid resistant battery terminal grease, some have suggested that Vaseline works also. This grease being German is hard to find in auto parts stores in the US. Moto bins has tubes of it.













5) Optimoly MP 3, and Optimoly TA. Moto bins online has both of these products listed as Castrol Optimol TA, and Castrol Optimol White Paste T, both being used for splines for final drive and clutch shaft.

No comments:

Post a Comment